Are you signed up to take the SAT soon?
We want you to be as prepared as possible, but not to the point of burning out. That’s why our test prep experts advise against studying the night before. Here is your complete pre-test checklist for the SAT. We recommend printing it out and checking off each box. Remember to take deep breaths and give yourself credit for how hard you’ve worked on improving your score. And if you need any additional SAT tutoring in New York, we’re here to help!
The Day Before
- DO remember all the effort and progress you have made on this test prep journey - you’ve come a long way!
- DO visualize calm, successful feelings about traveling to, arriving, and taking the test.
- DO eat nutritious, healthy meals.
- DO contact the College Board Office http://collegeboard.org/mysat to print your Admission Ticket and verify all the information is correct; and double check your scheduled starting time and test location.
- DO check the SAT Test Center Closings page in case of bad weather sat/register/test-center-closings.
- DO pack your bag and make sure you have: the printed admission ticket, your valid photo ID, a bottle of water, snacks, tissues; at least 2 sharp #2 pencils with good erasers, a watch with no alarm, and an acceptable SAT calculator.
- DO set an alarm and plan your route to the test center. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get ready, have a big breakfast, and get to the test site 30 minutes early.
- DO calculate when you’ll finish the test (180 min. plus 50 mins. for the essay, incl. 10-min. & 5 min. break).
- DO make a plan to do something fun (or take a nap) to reward yourself after the test for a job well done!
- DO go to sleep early, try to relax and get a good night’s rest.
- DO call or email us with any questions. Don’t worry if it’s late. We’re here!
- DO NOT study. Let yourself truly rest the day before the big test.
- DO wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Dress in layers so you can adjust to the room’s temperature.
- DO plan to arrive 30 mins early.
- DO take deep, slow breaths to keep yourself from getting anxious, especially right before the test begins.
- DO plan your time. Remember: you can skip questions and then return to them.
- DO place all answers on the answer sheet and not in the test booklet or scrap paper.
- DO mark your answers carefully. This is a machine-scored test, and you will not receive credit if you mark the wrong answer or two bubbles. If you change your answer, make sure to erase well.
- DO use your test booklet or scrap paper to work through each question as much as you like.
- DO guess. There is no penalty for wrong answers, so make sure you eliminate any obvious wrong answers and then fill in any blanks 5-10 minutes before time’s up in each section.
- DO check your work, if there is time. You can’t leave before the allotted time is up anyway!
- DO NOT bring any electronic devices (even phones) into the classroom. Phones will be held by staff until after the test.